PINA controversy: my father

12 Jun 2007, 10:01


Nuku'alofa, Tonga:

Editor,

I was surprised to return home in the weekend to learn that Matangi Tonga and other major media operators in the Kingdom (including Radio Tonga) failed to cover the story of my father (Tavake Fusimalohi) being awarded with the Media Freedom Award by the Pacific Islands News Association (PINA). This item was widely covered last week in Auckland by Radio New Zealand International, Radio Australia, Islands Business, Solomon Star and PINA Online. The PINA Media Freedom Award is probably the highest award for an island journalist in recognition of their outstanding contribution towards media freedom in their respective countries. I am somewhat skeptical that you have jettison my father's award in your news coverage for personal reasons. I am further surprised that even Radio Tonga failed to cover news concerning a former colleague and a founding member. The media today in Tonga can agree to disagree on issues whether political, social, or economics. But the fact that PINA has decided to bestow upon my father the most prestigious award in the region is without prejudice - news. As a former recipient of the award, you are well aware of the pride Tongans enjoyed in congratulating you in 2005 and which was well covered by Matangi Tonga. While this is no doubt a personal matter, I can only wonder how many success stories in Tonga that have suffered news sanctions for reasons other than news.

'Ahongalu Fusimalohi

No comments: